Grinder sparks touch off Barrington garage fire

The blaze, fanned by the day’s high winds, was blowing directly toward the homeowner’s house, but Burger said firefighters were able to put out the fire quickly before it spread to the adjacent building.
(Great Barrington Fire Dept.) The blaze, fanned by the day’s high winds, was blowing directly toward the homeowner’s house, but Burger said firefighters were able to put out the fire quickly before it spread to the adjacent building.

GREAT BARRINGTON — A man escaped serious injury when his Maple Ave. garage caught fire Tuesday afternoon.

The Sheffield and Lenox Fire Departments also responded to the blaze. Berger said when the first engine arrived, the garage was engulfed in flames.

The blaze, fanned by the day’s high winds, was blowing directly toward the homeowner’s house, but Berger said firefighters were able to put out the fire quickly before it spread to the adjacent building. Berger said it appeared that the fire had been caused by accidental sparks.

For the rest of the story, subscribe to the Record at https://bit.ly/2EyNvUR