A March 15 fire destroyed a two-story home located at 155 Norfolk Road in Southfield.
SOUTHFIELD — An early-morning fire on March 15 that destroyed a home at 155 Norfolk Road has ignited community support with a fundraiser that surpassed $20,000 in just two days.
A report of a structure fire came into New Marlborough Fire Department just before 4 a.m. When firefighters arrived, the colonial-style, two-story home was fully engulfed with flames, said Charles Loring III, New Marlborough fire chief. A former Baptist Church next door to the home — which had been converted into a residence — had also caught fire.
“The house was pretty much a loss at that point, so we focused on our energy on the church next door,” said Loring.
In addition to New Marlborough, firefighters from Great Barrington, Monterey, Sandisfield and Sheffield, as well as Canaan, Falls Village and Norfolk, Connecticut provided mutual aid. Without the support of area departments, Loring said, firefighters would not have been able to save the church. As a result, it the siding and windows were seared and there was some water damage.
The home, however, burned to the ground. All that stands of the home, owned by Emily Newman and Jeremy Stanton, is its chimney. No injuries were reported at either scene as neither address was occupied at the time. Though the couple was unharmed because they had been staying across the street while the home was undergoing renovations. Their pet cat, Alice, died in the fire.
For the rest of the story, subscribe to the Record at https://bit.ly/2EyNvUR